You may be able to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if you're on a low income.

This section of the website provides information about when claims can be backdated as well as links to HMRC guidance about the backdating process.

The information below was written by the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group.

For the Council Tax Reduction Scheme, the maximum amount of capital that can be held by a claimant or their partner that is of pensionable age is £16,000.

This limit does not apply to people in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee.

No, we may treat you as still having the proceeds of the sale if we consider that you gave money away deliberately to allow you to receive an award of Housing Benefit or to increase the amount of Housing Benefit that is already in payment.

If, however, you know you will be away for more than 13 weeks before you go away or if at any time when you are away you decide that you do not intend to return, we cannot pay you any Housing Benefit.

Prior to 6 April 2012, refugees had 3 months from being awarded refugee status to inform HMRC and receive longer backdating.

There are specific Housing Benefit rules that apply if you are over state pension credit age.

Standard backdating An initial claim can be backdated if the circumstances entitling the person to tax credits have subsisted for the period of the backdating.

But a claim may generally only be backdated by a maximum of 31 days.

You can't get Housing Benefit if you're a homeowner, but there is other financial help available for homeowners.